Cars do not last forever and at some point it is time to replace the old car with a new one.
It could also be that you do not need a car anymore, or the car has simply become unsuitable for driving on the roads. It is your duty to make sure that the car is scrapped properly. However, your old car is not wasted as you can get money for it. By handing in your car to a car wrecker, you get a scrap premium for the car – regardless of whether you are looking for scrap premiums in Jutland or the highest scrap premium in Zealand.
You can read much more about scrapping your car on this page, where we guide you through everything you need to know about the prize and the process in it.
How much can I get in scrap premium for my old car in 2022?
Your scrap premium for the car depends on a number of factors. Therefore, not a single scrap premium amount is paid out to everyone. For scrap prizes in 2022, the following applies:
- If the vehicle is designed to carry more than nine people, including the driver, you will not receive a scrap premium for the car.
- If the car’s total weight exceeds more than 3,500 kg, you will not be paid a scrap premium for the car
- If the car is deregistered before 1 July 2000, you will not receive a scrap premium for the car
- Diesel cars that are registered before 1 January 2006 will be paid DKK 5,000 in scrap premiums. However, this scheme expired at the end of 2021. However, a new pool of DKK 100 million is expected to open kroner during 2022.
- Petrol and diesel cars registered after 1 January 2006, the scrap premium paid is DKK 2,200.
To get your scrap premium paid for the car, you must hand in your car to an auto scraper that is environmentally approved and authorized. These are found all over the country and therefore there will also be a car wrecker near you. If it is not possible for you to drop off the car yourself, many car wreckers also offer to pick up the car for you.
Many also choose to make use of their Skrotpræmie when buying a new car. Here you need to research the various car dealerships and find the dealers that offer to make use of your old car. Some dealers offer up to DKK 15,000-20,000 in scrap premium for the car you own if you choose to buy a newer car through financing. Other dealers allow you to use your old car as part of the payment of the new car. The vast majority of dealers do not have requirements for condition, mileage, model or brand.
The state scrap premium is also called a scrapping allowance. As I said, this is a scheme that applies to passenger cars for a maximum of nine people as well as small vans weighing less than 3,500 kg. In order to receive the scrap premium, the car must have been liability insured. As soon as you hand over the used car to the scrapper, you will be entitled to a tax-free allowance. It only requires that you hand in the car to a registered and environmentally approved car wrecker. The state’s tariffs for the scrapping allowance in 2022 are DKK 2,200. However, the following conditions must be met:
- Your car must not be exported afterwards. Once it has been deregistered from the Motor Register, it may not be registered in another country or a refund of registration tax may be obtained.
- Your car must be handed in to an environmentally approved scrapping company
- Your car must be deregistered from the Motor Register.
To further protect the environment, the state has introduced a scheme for older diesel cars. This type of car is one of the largest emitters of harmful particles and hazardous gases. Therefore, the state’s tariffs for older diesel cars have been set as high as DKK 5,000. This scheme only covers diesel cars that were first registered before 1 January 2006. The scheme was only temporary in 2019 to 2021. But the scheme is expected to be restored during 2022. There 100 million has been set aside. DKK for this pool. If the allocated pool is used up before the end of 2022, the scheme will no longer apply.
This higher scrap allowance is part of the government’s air and climate initiative. The most polluting types of vehicles are thus removed from the street, as the reward becomes higher. Thus, it also becomes a green choice for the consumer to hand in their old diesel car at an authorized car wrecker. If you want to scrap a diesel car that meets the requirements, you must hand in the car to an approved car wrecker. A normal scrapping certificate and a diesel certificate are then completed. Both certificates are submitted to the Environmental Scheme for cars.